Thursday 4 October 2018

Craft Stuff

I have a lot of  'stuff' especially crafty stuff.  It is really getting me down.  I am in a catch 22 situation in that I want to make things but am unable to do so whilst I am surrounded with chaos. The chaos leads me into a downward spiral and then I don't feel like getting things sorted out. I have just bought another six 35 Litre Really Useful boxes to store my stuff - I now have 15 in total.  They are spread between the computer/craft room, hallway and bedroom.  In addition to this I have four 9L boxes, two 5L boxes, eight 4L boxes, one 3L box, two 1.6L boxes and a small unit of sixteen 0.3L boxes and a huge 64L box.  That is just the boxes I have in the Really Useful range!

I can't just 'get rid' of  'stuff' as it still needs to be sorted into what to keep and what to give/throw away and even then I have to see if it goes in recycling or normal refuse collection.  I want to keep most of it but need to find a way for the most effective way to organise my supplies.  I would love to have a clear desk space but yet again, I need the extra space to store things on top!

Today I tackled this mammoth sorting out job again.  I have a long way to go but at least I have set the ball rolling once more.  I have cardboard boxes full of random paper pieces and coloured envelopes.  My sister inquired why I sent her a shop bought Birthday card rather than make one knowing that I have all these card making materials.  She has a point.

What annoys me mostly about trying to reorganise my stuff/room is the length of time it is taking.  When I watch television shows about hoarders it only takes a couple of days to clear an entire house!  Sometimes I wish I had a skip parked outside and someone else to make the decision for me on what and what not to keep.

Just sorting out one box today I found loads of dressmakers pins loose in the bottom of a plastic bag.  I could have just thrown them away but I started to think how this would impact on the environment and could envisage wildlife looking like walking pincushions if they should frequent a rubbish tip where the pins would have been strewn.  I collected them all up and put into yet another small container.  It would have been so useful to have a magnet for this arduous task.

I wish I could focus on one area of craft. Papercraft is my first love but I feel shackled to all the jewellery making, fabric, wool and other crafts that surround me.






4 comments:

  1. You may have to be ruthless Simone, if paper is your thing then perhaps its time to give the other 'stuff' away, not into landfill etc but maybe to a cause that can use it.
    Do it in small chunks though so not to put yourself off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard to get rid of things, I move things around and think about them for ages before finally deciding. I'm quite pleased that I have three bags ready for the charity shop:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have a local art/craft community who would welcome things that are new to them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have spent the past 2 weekends sorting out stuff from our home. Re-organising so things fit into smaller spaces and so making better use of the space in our little home. It was also time to give away/recycle and donate things which up until now I couldn't. It was hard, but very cathartic too. The thought of things just sitting in boxes and not being looked at used just seemed silly all of a sudden and I was happy for them to go.
    Good luck in your quest.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated on this blog so it may be a while before your comment appears. I will try to leave a response to your comment where possible. Thank you so much for reading!