Thursday 29 August 2019

The Folly in the Park


We returned to Hatfield House Park and Gardens once more and followed the woodland walk.  During the walk we came across a castle folly that dates from the 1780's. 

Peeking in from the closed wrought iron gate in the centre of the folly, I managed to squeeze in my camera to take a couple of pictures of the room inside.  A neglected room with a couple of  'modern' wicker chairs and a fireplace each end.

 Most of the windows were boarded up.

A lovely tiled floor with a chequerboard design.

Straight opposite me was another gated doorway that led to the secret garden beyond.  So secret that all we could make out was water and another building in the distance.

The wall around the secret garden, which was once a vineyard, was built much earlier than the folly back in 1633.  I wonder who, if anyone, visits the secret garden today.

6 comments:

  1. Oh I hope someone does!! There'll definitely be a little robin. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have loved to have a nosy around it Vivienne! x

      Delete
  2. I remember those Peacock chairs of the 70's / 80's they were all the rage back then. I would love to have a Secret garden - I hope someone is caring for it but that it is a little overgrown and mysterious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like my very own secret garden too - my private little haven. x

      Delete
  3. The folly looks neglected and yet strangely beautiful inside. I wonder what the other building is behind the wall in the secret garden, another folly perhaps?:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look neglected Rosie but I bet it would be wonderful as a cool summer house (or winter house with the fires lit!) I don't know what building lies beyond as there was no way of reaching it. It does look like another folly. Regarding the vineyard, it is said that no bottles of wine were ever produced from it!

      Delete

Comments are moderated on this blog so it may be a while before your comment appears. I will try to leave a response to your comment where possible. Thank you so much for reading!