Thursday 24 September 2020

Solace in Books


I find solace in books.  I've been buying quite a few books recently.  I like the anticipation of guessing what information lies between the covers and hopefully gleaning any useful information.

The book on top of the pile is The Star-Born by Henry Williamson, written in 1933.  It is an original copy complete with untrimmed pages.  It is a sheer delight imagining all the history that particular copy has gone through.

The story is a celestial fantasy set in the real world at Lydford in Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor, and its gorge and castle keep (info from The Henry Williamson Society).

The illustrations are wood-engravings by Charles Tunnicliffe. 



6 comments:

  1. A treasure in so many ways. Lovely find, Simone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore Tunnicliffe's engravings and there is something magical about those deckle edged pages - I remember my father had quite a few books like that when I was a child.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love very old books like that and have some myself. I agree with you that it is a delight thinking about who in the past held it and enjoyed it. I have never read The Star-Born but just reading the page you have shown us makes me want to read it. An original copy of such a book is truly a delight to own!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful book! I imagine it smells amazing, too.

    I bet you must have some wonderful used bookstores near where you live.

    So glad you're finding solace in books.

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh that looks interesting! I love books and buy way too many! xxx

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated on this blog so it may be a while before your comment appears. I will try to leave a response to your comment where possible. Thank you so much for reading!