Tuesday 11 October 2022

Local Gargoyles

Walking locally, I looked up instead of ahead or on the ground.  There is an interesting looking old coach house that is fenced off.  The top windows and above are visible.  Up on the roof tops I could see figures strategically placed around the building.  The figures are gargoyles.


These photos are not very clear because they have been enlarged with my camera phone.  In my original photos you could hardly make out what they are!


Weird as they are - I love them!  They're not just pretty faces you know but served a practical purpose.  They act as rain water spouts to divert water away from the building and prevent the mortar from degrading upon prolonged exposure to water.  Do you have any gargoyles on building near you?  If so I would love to see them.

6 comments:

  1. They are a bit creepy ... I always thought they were purely decorative, I didn't know they has a practical purpose too.
    V x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think some grotesques (faces) are to ward of evil spirits but I like to know that gargoyles have a practical purpose! x

      Delete
  2. They look like dragons or gryphons, mystical beasts of some kind. It's amazing what you see when you look at the tops of buildings:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to know more about them! :)

      Delete
  3. I shall be looking upwards to spy any gargoyles lurking locally, hopefully without tripping over anything on the ground :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated on this blog so it may be a while before your comment appears. I will try to leave a response to your comment where possible. Thank you so much for reading!