Friday 1 March 2019

Visting the Optometrist


The optometrist showed an enlarged image of the back of my eyes on a desktop screen.  They looked like two huge planets sitting side by side. She pointed out the macular and the optic nerve on each. 

I told her that I didn't like looking at the images. [I feel queasy seeing the inside of my body.  Some things are just not meant to be seen.] She said that my 'good eye' had a sign that could lead to developing glaucoma.  I was worried to see an expanse of white where a healthy tangle of optic nerves were seen on the other eye.

A few years ago I was sent to the hospital for tests to see if I had glaucoma. They were not unduly worried and said that the cupping of the optic disc was probably there from birth.  I wondered why this had never been discovered before as I have had regular eye tests all my life.

A vision test showed that my eyesight has improved since last year.  Last year I was given a new prescription but never changed it because I couldn't find any suitable glasses.  Imagine if I had.  Last years lenses would now be redundant as are the varifocal contact lenses that I was persuaded to buy.

The test was thorough involving puffs of air in the eye and head to head contact between me and the optometrist as she peered deeply into the back of each eye.  Every now and then I could see red thread like veins look back at me from inside a white light.  

Swiftly afterwards I was taken to a sales assistant and had my frame free face photographed (say that fast three times!) on an iPad.  'Clever Frame Style technology'  scanned my features and its facial analysis detected that I have an oval face and should select softer rounder frames.  My face is not symmetric and about as oval as a potato so I didn't put much faith in that depiction at all.

Over at the wall of frames there wasn't any information as to what frames were best for each face shape so the face shape exercise was, in my opinion, pointless.  The sales assistant smiled and shrugged her shoulders when I pointed this out.  Left to my own devices I tried on a few pairs of glasses.  Nothing suited my now oval face.

I left the shop without renewing my prescription.  On the way out I closed my left eye and relied on my right eye to guide me in walking home.   I am frustrated that my 'good' eye is the one most likely to develop glaucoma.  Sod's law.





11 comments:

  1. Chin up Simone! I have only one working eye, the other has a mass of blood-vessels right in front of my retina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm OK Toffeeapple. It must be so frustrating to only be able to see out of one eye.

      Delete
  2. I've worn glasses since I was seven years old and am always amazed at how eye tests change with all the new technology. Like you I'm sensitive about my eyes, I can't bear to see close ups of eye tests etc being done on television. A few years ago I had a tear in the back of my eye and had laser treatment on it. The little puffs tell me I don't have or may have glaucoma but I do have cataracts coming in both eyes and this scares me as I'm afraid of having them 'done'. I do feel the assistants don't help you with the choice available in frame styles as much as they used to even with the new technology, I hope you are able to find suitable frames soon:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosie, try not to worry about having your cataracts done. My Mum and Auntie both had this done and it was fine. x

      Delete
  3. I totally agree Simone, some things just aren't meant to be seen ... and as for that puff of air test, I hate it, my eyes are watering even before they start!!
    V x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I jump out of my skin every time I have the puff of air even though I brace myself for it! x

      Delete
  4. My eyes differ daily with the Thyroxine I take so buying glasses is difficult - I have 3 different strengths at the moment. I did eye exercises once and they did work well my eyesight improved but you have to do them all the time. The puff test always makes me jump even when I know it is coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really have no faith in opticians at the moment. I just feel that they want my money. When I think about it, they never actually offer advice on how to have healthy eyes just a prescription to 'fix' things.

      Delete
  5. Grrr... this is the first time I've had my comment eaten by the internet (because I wasn't signed in to my google account). Anyway... I'm sorry you had a bad experience at the eye doctor and that the news about your eyes wasn't good (or might not be good... they sounded a bit vague). And I'm sorry you didn't find any frames you like. Have you ever looked into buying frames online? There's a company in the US that sends you frames you can try for free before you buy them, maybe there's something similar in the UK?

    I hope you've been off having adventures and being creative since your last post here.

    Have a lovely weekend my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Simone, so sorry you are having trouble with your eyes. It must be frustrating for you. That puff of air test always makes me jump but I'm always fascinated by seeing inside my eye - it is like a universe in there :) Hope you are enjoying your weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind seeing in other peoples's eyes but not my own! x

      Delete

Comments are moderated on this blog so it may be a while before your comment appears. I will try to leave a response to your comment where possible. Thank you so much for reading!