Friday 2 August 2019

Hatfield House Part Two Around The Gardens

This post focuses on the outside of the house showing parts of the main garden and also the private garden which is only open on a Wednesday.

 The garden above is directly outside the The Old Palace where Queen Elizabeth I played as a child.

I believe this is nicotiana or tobacco plant.  I used to grow it many years ago and remember its heady evening scent.

Not sure what the plant above is.  Can anyone help?

We walked along a wild orchid path.

 Looking out across the lake from above the boathouse.

Nature left to go wild beyond the topiary.

 Magnificent topiary elephants in the private garden.

 That's the private East Wing behind the elephants.

 Love that little baby one!

 Horseshoes that adorn the topiary.

 Tree seat.

Massive sculpture. Neptune?  I still have more photos to share including back inside the house and of the private kitchen garden. 

6 comments:

  1. The garden in your second photo is amazing and I love the elephants!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so beautiful Vivienne. I could have taken so many photos but kept quite restrained! :)

      Delete
  2. It looks such a lovely garden to walk around with something delightful to find around each corner. The formal garden is wonderful and I love the elephants covered in horseshoes, the little one is cute:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was so much to see Rosie and I don't think I saw everything! :)

      Delete
  3. How exciting! Looking forward to more?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was plenty to see and so much we didn't experience such as the woodland walks so we will return. :)

      Delete

Comments are moderated on this blog so it may be a while before your comment appears. I will try to leave a response to your comment where possible. Thank you so much for reading!