Thursday 1 August 2019

A Taste of Hatfield House Part One

Hatfield House is an historical landmark in Hertfordshire.  You can read more about visiting it on the website here. 

It was built in 1611 by Robert Cecil, 1st Earl of Salisbury, who was one of Elizabeth I's most important advisors. He used material from the Old Palace, part of which is still standing today, to build the present house. (Info from here.)

We visited on a Wednesday afternoon.

 It was all so very grand.

 Knowledgeable guides stood in every room and were keen to impart lots of information.

 There were so many interesting paintings and lots of doors hidden in the oak paneled walls.

Whoever carved the staircase didn't do it with cleaning in mind!  So intricate with many unreachable nooks and crannies.

 Up to the first floor.

 The first floor landing.

 This room was wall to wall and floor to ceiling with paintings.  So much to see.

Ornate ceilings in every room.

All the photos are taken in the west wing.  The east wing and the third floor are out of bounds as they are still in use by the 7th Marquess and Marchioness of Salisbury and their family. 

9 comments:

  1. I wonder how many people work there just to keep it clean? Did you feel a sense of the history whilst you were there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Hi Toffeeapple. I felt a wonderful sense of history there and even got to touch the death mask (allegedly) of Charles I of England. The old palace which was built before Hatfield House was open to the public yesterday. It was used as a nursery for Henry VIII's children Edward, Mary and Anne and I stood in that very building yesterday afternoon! I came away from the place with a sense of well-being especially after a wander around the grounds.

      Delete
  2. What a magnificent building .... I do love a bit of history!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you would have loved the gardens especially Vivienne. I will do a post about them. x

      Delete
  3. It looks wonderful Simone, so many things to admire as you walk around. I don't think I'd have liked to dust the staircase either. The tapestries and ceilings look interesting:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosie there was so much to photograph and I missed a lot of opportunities. I just know you would have liked it there.x

      Delete
  4. Looks like a beautiful place to visit! So glad you got a chance to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed the day out Anne. I don't get out to see much these days so it was a real eye opener! :)

      Delete

Comments are moderated on this blog so it may be a while before your comment appears. I will try to leave a response to your comment where possible. Thank you so much for reading!