Saturday 27 February 2021

Mythical World

 

As the modern world progresses there seems to be more discontentment among people.  There is desire to have more and do less. Generations of people who think they are entitled.  Little thought (if any) is given towards their ancestors or people that came before them.  Ancient traditions, crafts, rituals are being lost.  We no longer have many people to pass on the knowledge, folklore, myth and legend that was passed down from generation to generation. Artifacts and things of provenance are dismissed by those that see no value in them.  Society (in general) or the one that the media promotes seems more concerned in the latest celebrity scandal, fast food and the most fashionable dog to own.  If you seek a life that isn't superficial, on the whole, you may be seen as eccentric, an outsider or just a plain old weirdo.  I am quite happy to accept the title of weirdo but prefer unconventional.

Seeking affirmation for my thoughts I found and watched a recording made in 1997 from a leading scholar who was a founding director of  Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts .  What she said resonated strongly with me.

'We have lost the connection with the mythical world and no reality is worth living as far as I am concerned, unless it is a myth which gives it the meaning.

Cultures lived by their myths and they made life both plausible and beautiful to live because the mythical world was alive.  The modern world has killed myth and in killing myth it has dehydrated one part of itself.'

The words were that of Kapila Vatsyayan (25 December 1928 - 16 September 2020). She had such wise countenance.  I am sorry that I only just discovered her.


5 comments:

  1. Simone, I do not have the words to express how much I agree this post. I know the world moves on and advances and much of that can be good. The problem is that too much that should matter is allowed to be lost in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have thought that the last year would have taught society to be less superficial but I'm afraid as life improves people in general will I suspect go back to their old ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At one time families and communities would huddle around a fire and pass on stories, myths and ledgends down the generations. I was surprised at how my grandchildren knew so few nursery rhymes and will probably never know their meaning - but children these days are much more likely to be watching all manner of devices for their entertainment which is very fast moving and quite dynamic compared with reciting a few ancient nursery rhymes that hold no excitement for them.
    I am not sure this is progress anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many ancient crafts and rituals are no longer remembered in our push button, disposable world. When I worked in museums I loved to record people talking about the old ways of country life and household tasks. I remember watching a flint knapper making stone tools and hoping his skill and knowledge would be passed to later generations just as stories around the fire would have been. Take care Simone:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very well put!
    I remember when I moved back to Devon, in 1980, we used to visit an event held at a local farm. It was wonderful! We could watch all the old country crafts in action. I was only young but I remember thinking at the time, ‘ What will happen in years to come? Who will take over and continue these traditions?’ And here we are, 40 years on and many of those old ways have simply gone...died... along with the people who had the skills. It’s sad. Take hedge laying, for instance. You see so little of that ...but plenty of hedges hacked and wrecked with those awful machines!
    As you rightly say, valuable knowledge from past times is dismissed...shoved aside for what? It’s like we regress and dumb down yet we are meant to be forward thinking and progressive. I just don’t see it much of the time.
    Anyway...it’s a good subject for debate and one that I’m sure will continue. 😁

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated on this blog so it may be a while before your comment appears. I will try to leave a response to your comment where possible. Thank you so much for reading!