Thursday 4 February 2021

Raise the Bar

 Given the choice I have mostly gone for the easier option.  I have gone for things that are easily achievable that I know I will be successful at.  This mediocrity has been in part the reason why I am always so restless and dissatisfied with much of life.  I have set the bar so low for so long it is no wonder I lose interest with what I am doing.

As most of last year was spent in lockdown it afforded me the opportunity to get out my paints and paper and get creative with painting and drawing.  I drew things and painted things that were easy for me.  It took little effort or imagination.  I was happy to be producing art but felt nothing in way of accomplishment.

This year I am spending more time learning subjects that I previously dismissed for fear of not being able to understand them.  I need to stretch my mind and stop going in a circle and never progressing through life.

Already I feel brighter and have an inner glow with my newly acquired knowledge.  There is so much that is new to me, that makes sense.  I feel like such a fool for having my head buried in the sand for the first half a century of my life!

In case there is anyone reading this who is like me and wants to fast track a new subject I would give the following advice;

  • Learn from the masters if you can or at least those taught by the masters.
  • Use credible sources to get your information from.
  • Be non-judgmental when receiving new information.

Beyond the chattering social media outlets there is a whole world of discovery just waiting for you to explore.  Decide on a topic that you want to know more about and go for it - learning from the best and most knowledgeable sources.





14 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post. Like you, I'm turning away from social media (in fact, I left it in July!) and am focusing on deep learning. I'm focused on learning from a few reliable sources and limiting the amount of information I'm exposed to. I know that sounds counterintuitive but I think we are all being overwhelmed because of the amount of information we have are exposed to each day. Good luck on your quest! I found you via Anne Butera's blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura! Anne has been a long time blogging friend! I think you are correct in limiting the amount of info you are exposed to and careful about only choosing reliable sources to learn from. Good luck in your quest for knowledge too! :)

      Delete
  2. It is a door opening on a new world Simone. I am glad you have taken this step forward X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel. Reading your blog has certainly helped me to raise the bar! x

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this post and for the advice you give. I totally understand what you are saying because I have been there many times in my life. I have many regrets because fear of failure led me to sometimes make the wrong decisions in my life. I can look back and in the few times I approached decisions with confidence and bravery I was much happier and more satisfied. I am so happy to hear that you are stretching yourself and feeling better for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think about what you want to know more about Bonnie - anything that piques your interest and then find out more about it. Don't worry if you think the subject is too difficult or out of reach. Everyone had to start somewhere. x

      Delete
  4. So pleased you have found something worthwhile and it feels good for you. I have got to the point where I feel I need a new direction but nothing as yet has revealed itself to me. There is always a lot for us to learn if we are open to it. Good luck Simone and let us know how you are getting along. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has taken me a long time to get to this stage Vivien! Is there anything you have ever really wanted to know more about? What has stopped you in the past? During this lock down period it is an ideal time to take stock and take up a new hobby or even a new direction in life. x

      Delete
  5. Well that all sounds wonderful Simone, I'm glad you're enjoying your studies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vivienne! I am not doing formal studies, just seeking out the best information providers on things I am interested in. I hope you and your girlies are well. x

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you are enjoying new things, learning and experiencing things that challenge and inspire. As a historian we were always told to check primary sources whereever possible, then reliable secondary sources always looking for bias as well as balance.
    Good luck with your studies and enjoy your new found confidence:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I have a new lease of life Rosie. I have been stuck in a rut for so long and then something just clicked. I hope that your eyes are getting better. x

      Delete
  7. Hello Simone,

    Onwards and upwards!

    Perhaps we need to arrive at a point in life when we no longer fear the judgements of others in order to try out entirely new or challenging things. Whatever, it is certainly a liberating point to have reached and it is so wonderful that you are finding excitement in overcoming these new hurdles.

    And, whenever challenges are taken on, it is always amazing how much inner strength and hidden resources we can all draw upon in order to overcome any difficulties. We are all capable of learning new tricks and we all have far more hidden talents and skills than we generally give ourselves credit for. A lifetime of teaching has taught us this.

    Keep on aiming high! Ad astra!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for such a lovely positive comment. Ad astra indeed! :)

      Delete

Comments are moderated on this blog so it may be a while before your comment appears. I will try to leave a response to your comment where possible. Thank you so much for reading!