Tuesday 11 September 2018

My Plants Are Regressing


A few weeks ago I bought a couple of dahlia plants to cheer myself up as the garden was so barren and void of colour.  I bought a beautiful deep velvety pink one and one that was red and white variegated - a bit like a raspberry ripple effect. The one above was the first I had my eye on.  Out in the garden its leaves quickly became ravaged with snails and slugs so I thought it would be best to bring it in at night.  I have watered and fed and tended it.  It stays in the garden during the day and comes in at night.


  
I recently noticed that one of the blooms had become two tone - or rather a few of the petals seemed washed out of colour.  Most strange.

The second dahlia I bought was the one shown above.  Beautiful quilled shaped petals that opened out into bi-colour.  I noticed that very quickly the flowers began to turn brown around the edges and die before they fully came out.  I deadheaded them hoping for a quick recovery.


Now look at what has happened.  Very strange salmon coloured flowers with a few red ones.  I wonder why just buying two random plants has resulted in some bizarre happening.  I wonder if some sort of cross pollination has gone on.  Any thoughts?

4 comments:

  1. goodness they are so pretty Simone ...I've no idea why but enjoy them!!
    V x

    ReplyDelete
  2. How unusual, I've no idea why it's happened. The dahlias are still very pretty and lovely colours:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is one for Gardeners Question time!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  4. How odd. I sowed some seeds a couple of years back and got some strange looking dahlias. One of them was very like your last one but mine was a yellow one with odd little orange petals. It came back three years in a row but didn't survive the past winter. I wish I had lifted it now.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated on this blog so it may be a while before your comment appears. I will try to leave a response to your comment where possible. Thank you so much for reading!