Saturday 10 July 2021

The Future Self That Never Was

I am feeling a little melancholic.  For many years I had a dream of having my own business by making and selling handmade items.  The problem here was not knowing what to make and how much time to invest in trying out suitable crafts.  The advent of the Shopping Telly Craft Channels back in the early 1990's made it all seem so simple.  Whenever they had guests on the show the presenter would ask 'What is your Angel policy?  Can the viewers buy the product to make and sell?'  'Yes, tell 'em to fill their boots' was a response I heard frequently.  Card making was one of the first lot of crafts touted and then they went across the board showcasing all different types of craft and machines to help your work be of a professional standard.  They even sold the cellophane bags to present your cards in to sell.

Card stock, paper, glues, cutting machines, die cutting machines, card making kits, punchcraft, pergamano, felt kits, jewellery making supplies, rubber stamps, heat guns, embossing powders, stamping platforms, inks, bookbinding, etc, etc.  I bought them all (almost) and did it all.

Storage was the next big thing on the shopping telly.  Now we had all these supplies we needed storage boxes, tote bags and places to store all these items.  I even bought a shopping trolley to store items 'on the go.'  I took over the spare room and filled it with 'Really Useful Boxes' to keep my 'stock'.  They piled up to the ceiling.

An unrealistic dreamer I convinced myself that by buying all this stock I was sitting on a future investment.  I stupidly failed to realise that these people want to sell a product.  That is all.  One of the champions of selling craft products to the public via the Shopping Channel is Sara Davies of Crafter's Companion.  She is an extremely ambitious and intelligent woman who saw the profit to be made in convincing middle aged women like me that they could turn their hobbies into profit by using her tools and kits and selling the end product.  She is now on the panel of Dragon's Den.

The reality of making to sell is that if something is easy to make then it is accessible to most peoples skill set.  If I can make a decent end product from having the right equipment so can thousands of others.  There is no profit to be made from making and selling unless what you sell is original and there is a market for it.  Many years ago I read that if you want to go into business make sure you are offering a service and not a product.  I think they mean 'end' product because there is lots to be made in kits and raw supplies.

It has taken over 3 decades to accumulate so many craft materials.  I never really enjoyed making craft products because the joy was thwarted through guilt in how much I had spent.  I am tearful as I dismantle the 'craft room'.  A dream being dismantled before my eyes.  I feel crushed as I sell off that which I had built.  There is no point in hanging onto a pipe dream.


11 comments:

  1. Awe I'm sorry you feel sad Simone and that it didn't turn out the way you had hoped ... keep making though, for your own sake.
    V x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will continue with my drawing and watercolour painting Vivienne and maybe a couple of other things. x

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry Simone. What you are doing is a difficult thing that many of us must face at some time. I've had several such dreams and although I now know they will never come to pass it is still difficult to let go. I think as we get older we need to decide what it is we most enjoy and go with that for pure personal enjoyment. If some of those crafts are fun for you then maybe keep that portion of them.

    I am currently struggling with letting go of many items that I need to clear out of my house before I am too old to do it myself. It's hard because we sometimes let these things define us or we put too much of ourselves into them. When you sell or throw away such items you almost feel like a part of you is going away too. That becomes a big problem that we have to learn to deal with because in reality it is not how it seems to us at first. I guess I have no answers because I am still dealing with such feelings. I do think it is important though, to learn how to let go of the past and embrace a positive present and future. I'm still working on that one. I wish you well on what you are doing. I know it is not easy but I also know you are a person with many wise and creative abilities in many areas and you will find your personal best way forward. Take care Simone. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for such a thoughtful response Bonnie. Yes it is so hard letting go but these things have hung like a millstone around my neck for many years. Hopefully once I have more space I can fill the void with something new and even better possibly? I wish you success in your own struggle to declutter too. x

      Delete
  3. What a thought provokng article Simone - I feel quite upset for you as I know how talented you are, but perhaps your talents now lie in something else, like the garden perhaps. I agree about the people who have recognised a business making money out of others in the craft world - I remember seeing an article on Martha Stewart's well stocked craft room way back and at the time I wondered how much craft she actually did herself or indeed how much of anything she did herself - she had just learned to portray a lifestyle that so many people wanted to have or copy and made her fortune from it.
    I hope you will reserve some of the craft items to carry on making a few things - but perhaps a clean sweep will be good for your soul there is nothing as hard as carrying a lot of excess baggage around both physically and mentally.
    In my own case I too am guilty of being tempted to buy fabrics or bits and pieces with the 'intention' of makng things at a future date but my present circumstances of having very little time to myself mean the intentions remain just that intentions.
    Thinking of you as you sort out your craft room. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vivian. I know that you understand. I will continue with my watercolour painting and drawing but need a cull of so many items. Sorry I haven't been visiting much recently. I am dealing with my metamorphosis! I hope that you are well. x

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's hard to let dreams go, Simone, I hope that you will gradually feel happier once you have cleared away all those things collected and fresh, new horizons appear in places you hadn't thought of before. I'm glad to read from your comments to others that you will still continue with painting and and that you are not giving up everything. I need to let things go too but in a different way. I have so many items left to me by my mother and other family members which I hold on to because I feel responsible for them but as I am the last in the line, the book stops with me and I have to pass them on and find good homes for them whilst I'm still able. I think the past year has made a lot of us re think things:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosie. I know you was contemplating leaving some things to a toy museum? Letting go of your Mum's things must be difficult but if they bring you enjoyment still, then keep them a while longer. I would never get rid of everything as that woulds be foolish but it is hard to let go of things that have been part of my life for so long. It is silly for me to be sentimental about things that have been stored away for years! You are right in saying that the past year has made a lot of us re think and I certainly have been doing a lot of re-evaluating. x

      Delete
  6. Hi, Simone. It sure is hard to let go of dreams. I've been thinking a lot about the dreams we dream. So often things grow and change along the way. Letting go of the old makes room for the new.

    Reading the story of your experience I wonder if this dream was never truly yours, but rather something you bought along with the craft supplies. I know that doesn't necessarily make it any easier to let go, but letting it go opens you up to dreaming the more authentic you. You have an artist's heart, so don't give up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne! I like the fact that you say you wonder if the dream was ever really mine. I think you could be right. I was swept along with the idea and as I had nothing else to focus on, craft became my 'thing' or even my escapism for a while. I am excited for having more space! :)

      Delete

Comments are moderated on this blog so it may be a while before your comment appears. I will try to leave a response to your comment where possible. Thank you so much for reading!