Tuesday 27 September 2011

Retreat

I am yearning to retreat.  I want to sit quietly and meditate and make the World go away just for a short while.  Since Saturday I have been dealing with a hen that has had a prolapse.  I clean her up, make her comfortable and keep my fingers crossed that the next day she will be well again.  Today I phoned the vets who the hens are registered with and was told that they don't deal with chickens.  They gave me the number of their sister surgery who told me that they don't deal with 'exotics'.  The original vets then phoned me after being contacted by the other surgery and told me that a vet would see my hen in the morning to 'fix' the prolapse for £90.00.  If I thought that this would work I may consider it but they had already gave me the impression that they don't know how to deal with poultry.  Tonight I have bathed her, cleaned her and once again isolated her from the other hens.  I hope that she will pass away overnight.  I cannot bear to think that she may be suffering. 

13 comments:

  1. Oh Simone this is so sad, I really feel for you. I love the thought of keeping hens but the more I hear the more seems to be able to go wrong. I too hope she passes away peacefully in the night. Your vets seem very un-professional to me. Poor girl.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, what a worrying time for you. How can they justify £90 for a little tiny chicken!!!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope like you that she is not suffering. This is the problem with animals and birds, we get so to love them but cannot bear to see them suffer, and unlike humans they suffer in silence.
    We need the vets but sometimes I feel that they don't really care about the animals and are just interested in the money.
    I will be sending positive thoughts your way and hope she recovers.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about your hen, Simone. sending you a big hug, you've tried to do your best for her.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear , we once had a dog that was suffering . My dad was going to take him to the vets but the day of the appointment my dad couldn't go through with it , he said just one more day . That night our poor dog passed away , it was so sad but we were happy that it had been natural. I hope the poor hen has the same thing . Big hugs to you in your lovely retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Simone how sad for you - I do hope that she will go quickly and peacefully. You have done your very best for her. Take carexx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simone,
    I do wish all will end well. When we love our animal friends as much as we do we are bound to feel broken hearted when they suffer. Know those of us who care about you and your sweet hen are hovering near with our love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry Simone, I do hope she recovers and if that's not to be then she goes peacefully. These things are just so hard to deal with.
    Vivienne x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh poor wee hen and poor you too. Its horrible to see an animal suffereing, especially when there's not really much you can do - you are doing your very best tho' and it will be helping. Juliex

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a sad post. I do hope that the problem will be resolved one way or another.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope it all works out and she finds peace, and I hope you find some peace also.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh dear Simone. I am sending loving thoughts to you and your little hen. Please let us know how things work out. xx

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated on this blog so it may be a while before your comment appears. I will try to leave a response to your comment where possible. Thank you so much for reading!