Ranger Joe Cookies
1 cup soft brown sugar
1 cup white granulated sugar
1 cup softened butter
2 large eggs, beaten
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 cups plain flour
2 cups puffed rice cereal
2 cups porridge oats
Pre-heat the oven to 200C/400F/ Gas Mark 6
In a large bowl, cream together the sugars with the butter until well combined. Add the eggs and the vanilla extract and mix thoroughly.
In another large bowl, sift together the flour, salt, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Add this to the wet mixture in the other bowl. Stir in the cereal and oats.
Take walnut sized pieces of the mixture and squeeze gently into a ball shape. Place the balls on a large ungreased baking sheet 2 inches apart to allow for spreading. Bake until golden brown. In my oven this takes around 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to firm up for a couple of minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
Hints and tips
- Make sure you have all utensils, bowls, cup, baking sheets etc to hand before starting.
- Check that you have all the ingredients.
- I use supermarket budget range of oats and rice krispies for the cookies to help keep costs down.
- I bake one tray of cookies at a time in centre of oven to ensure even baking.
- If you don't understand cup sizes, just use a teacup to measure but be sure to use the same teacup for all cup measurements!
If you make this recipe ( or any of the others I share) then please let me know what you thought of them or of any improvements that you think could be made. I love feedback!