Saturday 6 April 2013

Retro

I think a retro garden is the way to go this year.  I yearn to plant a perennial border full of my childhood favourites; Hollyhocks, Delphiniums, Aquilegia, Lupins and Red Hot Poker.  I  want to grow Giant Dahlias and have Creeping Phlox fill every last inch of space.  I want to add humour with bunny rabbits tails  (Antirrhinum) and lambs tails (Stachys Byzantina).

Scented roses and fruit trees will be added to my eclectic garden with interest and intrigue at every turn.  Well, that is the plan anyway?  

The little ornament above was bought for my kitchen shelf.  It is an oddity being both charming and scary at the same time!  I am thankful that I bought Mr Gnome and his Chicky friend.  They started the ball rolling with my ideas for this years garden and I am truly inspired with the plans that I have for the months ahead.  Come rain or shine I WILL have a lovely garden this year!

8 comments:

  1. Thats the sort of garden I want too! Tell me how to to keep the slugs and snails at bay and I think I may have it sussed! Our house is a genuine fifties house so I want the garden to reflect that, your list of flowers is ideal!
    Julie xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You garden sounds wonderful, Simone! Red hot pokers remind me of the gardens of my childhood. I have to say Mr Gnome is slightly scary!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm already looking forward for lots of posts and photos about your garden :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you Simone, I'm really looking forward to seeing your garden, you have mentioned some of my very favourite plants there!
    V xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to photos, then! I just love hollyhocks, and mine seem to have their first leaves already. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds lovely, look forward to seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to have a go at Hollyhocks this year.. My dad has kindly gaave me a small patch in his back garden and use of his greenhouse . The gnome looks a bit angry but that's probably because the bird is chirping in his face !

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated on this blog so it may be a while before your comment appears. I will try to leave a response to your comment where possible. Thank you so much for reading!