Friday 8 November 2013

Pig Watch

On route to the vineyard I stopped to observe the resident pigs for a short while.  Blissfully unaware of what fate has in store for them, they make the most of their days the best they know how.  I could have watched them for ages but had to get on with the work I had set out to do.

I trudged along the rows between the vines turning over clumps of grass and weeding around the vine itself.  It was an arduous task as the clods of earth were heavy but there were a lot of volunteers so the job moved along quickly.  My feet were sinking in the mud and bothersome midges kept flying up towards my face.  My wellington boots were heavily laden with mud and I felt like a spaceman walking in slow motion.

Alongside the hedgerows there were some huge parasol mushrooms.  One volunteer took them home to cook and to try to grow some more by planting in his garden.  Sloe berries peppered the foliage with their deep jewel like colour - I must remember to collect some one day and turn into the sloe gin that I have acquired a taste for.

The next day I awoke to find a huge dome shaped lump on my leg with a bright red patch in the middle.  I think a gnat was the culprit but have no idea how it penetrated a thick pair of jeans worn under a dress!  A few people had mentioned that they were getting bitten at the vineyard and I guess that gnats were drawn to the bog like conditions.  Hazard's like this are all part of working in the great outdoors!  A small price to pay when there are so many riches to be gained from doing so.

10 comments:

  1. Love those stripy piglets!
    You have described exactly what it feels like to work here at the moment too. And the rain is still coming down..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can hear the squelching sound of those boots you described so well!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds as if you are still busy at the vineyard - wellies just get heavier and heavier in the mud. I love the pigs:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awe you describe that so poetically Simone! :)
    Happy weekend,
    V xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope your lump is going down now - the hazzards of the countryside! It is just as muddy here in Yorkshire and I can say the same in Scotland - when I took the picture of the Mares Tail waterfall we had to edge around the muddy path with a few sticky moments!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those piglets - they're so sweet:0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's nice to get mucky and dirty at times followed by a long slow hot bath. Sounds like you had a good time helping out and the bonus is always collecting some fresh food along the way. Hope the lump on your leg is nothing serious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So very cute, sounds like you are still having a good time at vineyard.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I could spend hours looking at piglets.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You sound busy but content xxx

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated on this blog so it may be a while before your comment appears. I will try to leave a response to your comment where possible. Thank you so much for reading!