Friday, 3 March 2017
Friday Cake Bake #21
Fruit and Veg Cake
12oz caster sugar
half pint sunflower oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
8oz plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp salt
6oz grated carrots
1 grated apple
4oz tinned pineapple drained and chopped
4oz desiccated coconut
4oz chopped mixed nuts
Pre-heat oven to 160 degrees C/325F/gas mark 3
Grease and base line two 2lb baking tins
1. Beat together the sugar, eggs, oil and vanilla.
2. In a separate bowl mix together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and salt.
3. Combine the two mixtures together and beat well.
4. Fold in the prepared fruit, veg, nuts and coconut and spoon into the tins.
5. Bake for about 1 hour and check if cooked until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
6. If necessary cook for a further 10 minutes covering the top of the cakes with grease proof paper to prevent further browning.
7. Leave to cool in the tins for about 10 minutes and then turn onto a wire rack to finish cooling.
There are quite a lot of stages of preparation in making this cake but it is not difficult. Take your time as the end result is well worth it.