Monday 2 September 2019

Lemon Pips and Other Things

I have been watching a lot of YouTube videos recently.  It is great for tutorials and learning things although you do have to be discerning and sort the wheat from the chaff!  A new to me YouTuber uploads Project Diaries. He is very informative and shows hints and tips on growing things.  After binge watching a few of his videos I decided to follow his instructions on growing lemons from seeds.  Two weeks later I have the beginnings of two tiny lemon trees from a couple of pips from a discarded lemon.  It is so exciting to see life created before my eyes!

Away from the garden and back to the home I was looking for an affordable way to freshen the carpets.  I had an out of date container of Bicarbonate of Soda and some essential oils that went out of date a long time ago.  Although I wouldn't want to use them for cosmetic use I thought they would be perfectly acceptable to mix with the bicarb.  I mixed 30 drops of geranium and 10 drops of peppermint oil into the bicarb of soda.  I let it rest, meanwhile vacuuming the carpet.  I then sprinkled the carpet all over with the mixture and left it for a couple of hours before vacuuming again.  The house smells clean and fresh and I didn't have to pay out for a specific carpet freshener with synthetic fragrance.

I am in a cleaning and tidying up frame of mind at the moment but really want to get back to my watercolour painting and other creative outlets.  I will just have to find space in my day and fit them in! 

10 comments:

  1. How lovely to have a little lemon plant!!
    Great idea with the carpet too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got loads more germinating as I write this Vivienne! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is exciting to see something sprouting from a pot of compost, isn't it? Be aware though that as the plant gets older, it can gather a crop of Scale Insects which congregate under the leaves. They are easily removed but you need to keep on top of them.

    I usually get the cleaning urge before Summer but I usually manage to control it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This tree will probably not reach maturity Toffeeapple but it will be fun trying. I don't have much success with houseplants but at least this one was free.

      I only get a cleaning/tidying urge when stuff has built up so much I can stand it no more! :)

      Delete
  4. Mmm, I'm thinking lemon drizzle cake ……….. eventually!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia, I will let you know when I have made a cake from them - in about 20 years! x

      Delete
  5. Lovely little lemon tree, I hope it grows well for you. The carpet cleaner sounds wonderful. I've used bicarb and lemon juice for cleaning but never thought of using it on carpets mixed with oils. I'm in a decluttering mood again at the moment, the local widlife trust charity shop has benefited from a few donations:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not been successful with house plants Rosie but had nothing to lose apart from a handful of compost with growing the lemon plant. The bicarb mixed with essential oils for carpet freshening is really good. I used peppermint with the geranium as I thought geranium on its own was a bit cloying. Test it out on a small area first if you want to give it a go. x

      Delete
  6. I am going to search out these videos - I need to be taking cuttings this year for next and start to grwo my own annuals for the planters instead of buying plants. I like your way of freshening the carpets - I will have a go. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The videos are really good Vivien. There is one on using banana skins for plant food which I have done too. In keeping the house smelling clean I have found the carpet freshener really effective. I need to buy the bicarb in bulk next time though - this time I was just using up an out of date batch but would really like to continue using carpet fresheners in this way. I have loads of essential oils (out of date) from my years of having an interest in aromatherapy. There are so many combinations you could use including orange and cinnamon for a Christmas scent or lemon and lavender etc. I am going to try different combinations to see what I like best. If you do it test in a small area first! x

      Delete

Comments are moderated on this blog so it may be a while before your comment appears. I will try to leave a response to your comment where possible. Thank you so much for reading!