Friday 10 April 2020

Friday Cake Bake 2020

Regular readers of this blog will remember that every Friday I used to put up a post of something I had baked and usually the recipe too.  Today I decided to do one again!  I have almost come to the end of my flour now - just eking it out as much as I can.  I purchased the mini eggs well in advance of the lockdown and it is one purchase that I am happy to have made.

Iced Fairy Cakes

5oz (150g)  self-raising flour
4oz (100g) soft margarine
4oz (100g) caster sugar
2 eggs
Few drops of vanilla essence

4oz (100g) icing sugar 
2 tbsp (approx) warm water

mini eggs or any other edible decoration

Makes 20

Preheat oven 180C 350F Gas Mark 4

Stand 20 small paper cases (not muffin cases) onto a large baking sheet.  Put the first 5 ingredients into a large bowl and beat for 2 minutes with a wooden spoon until a smooth dropping consistency.

Place teaspoonfuls of mixture between the cases.  Bake for 20 minutes until lightly golden brown.

When done, place on a wire rack until cold.  Mix together the icing sugar and water to make a thick paste and drop spoonfuls onto the cakes.  Decorate as you wish.

Happy Easter Weekend!


17 comments:

  1. Lovely ... enjoy!!! :)
    Happy Easter Simone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look pretty. I love baking!

    As for being out of flour. Do you ever ground beans, seeds or nuts to make flours? So fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Happy Whisk! I've use ground almonds in recipes before but these little cakes need conventional flour. :)

      Delete
    2. Almond meal and almond flours are fun to play with. Have you tried other flours though? Bean flours, potato flour or seed flours like millet and quinoa? Really all fun. I love baking!

      Delete
  3. How pretty and I bet they are delicious too! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look lovely. I bought some mini eggs before lockdown too and plan to make a sponge cake today and decorate with mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look lovely Simone, I've done someting similar and like you had bought the little eggs way before the lockdown. Have a lovely Easter:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a lovely weekend Rosie and enjoy the little eggs! :)

      Delete
  6. Yummy - I was supposed to have gone to my sons today and would have made some of those to take with me - oh well another day.....
    Stay safe Happy Easter
    I mentioned you in my blog this morning

    Julie xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go to my Mum's Easter Sunday for a big 'Christmas' style dinner. This will be the first year I haven't gone. You could make the cakes later in the year when the lock-down is over. They are so easy to make. I've left a comment on your blog. Look after yourself. x

      Delete
  7. Love your little buns - so much more delicate than my chocolate ones and everyone in blogland seems to have my favourite mini eggs - I never got to buy any this year and so am feeling so left out! When this is over I fear I might just start hoarding them for next year just in case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These cakes are so easy to make Vivien. I am lucky that I bought the mini eggs way before the lock-down! These are just as nice without the mini eggs by using different edible decorations instead. :)

      Delete
  8. Happy Easter Simone!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated on this blog so it may be a while before your comment appears. I will try to leave a response to your comment where possible. Thank you so much for reading!