During a brief sunny spell about a week ago I decided to cut back some rather overgrown shrubs. Gizmo was happy to supervise whilst I wielded the secateurs.
The next project on 'my list' was to clear an overgrown patch of the garden that had once been a rockery housing different alpine plants. It had also been a pumpkin patch and a very pretty flowerbed at one stage. It had been in this neglected form for a while now - time to take drastic action!
On Friday my son helped me to remove the rocks that were embedded in the rockery, dig out the grass and make the area usable again. It took about 3 hours to get to this stage and filled up four huge bags of grassy clumps.
I was happy to have my helper with me and he was happy to look for treasure. After a 'back breaking' afternoon we decided to call it a day. The next day I got down to the real business of why I wanted the area cleared.
I want to create a wildlife pond.
After another three hours the pond is beginning to take shape. I need to make the shelf wider and deeper and I need to fill in a bit at the bottom. I did get carried away.
Here is the 'pond' from another angle. I still need to level it all out and bank it up on one side and then I will make use of my rockery rocks again as a hiding place for frogs, toads etc. (Sorry Hen - I think it is you that is not too fond of froggy things)! When the pond is levelled off I will add a layer of soft sand and a pond liner and maybe an old blanket sandwiched between. I then need to decide how I am going to finish of the pond edges and what plants to put in. I am really looking forward to seeing how the pond progresses over the years and I will keep you posted here.