Thursday 13 May 2010

Nunhead Cemetery Open Day

If you are in the London area on Saturday 15th May, I highly recommend that you go to the Friends of Nunhead Cemetery (F.O.N.C) Open Day. This is an annual event that takes place in one of the lesser known Victorian cemeteries, full of all kinds of interesting things to see and do.

Children can go on a bug hunt and have their bugs identified, there are tours of the cemetery and the crypt, there are all kinds of flora and fauna to see and there are wonderful home made cakes and refreshments. In years past the cakes have included, chocolate cake, slabs of ginger cake and gingerbread men and fresh cream or jam sponges. Included this year are my Mum's luxury brandy fruit cake and my Auntie's Whiskey and Sultana cake topped with flaked almonds and her rum fruit cakes. It is worth attending the event for the yummy home made food alone!

Nunhead Cemetery is an oasis of calm at the heart of an inner city. A place to see all kinds of wildlife and butterflies and fungi. I do believe that F.O.N.C keep beehives in the cemetery too. Now, I think that is something to be highly commended now that our bee population is on the decline. Other events take place throughout the year such as cemetery tours and night time bat hunts, so if you can't make it this Saturday then why not bookmark Nunhead Cemetery as place to visit in the future.

I am sure that followers of this blog would love the Open Day. There will be so much for you to photograph and blog about!

7 comments:

  1. It looks quite interesting - perhaps one day I will manage to visit it
    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it sounds lovely- and delicious! We are actually planning a big away day on Saturday, but the small matter of the Irish Sea might preclude eating cake with you! Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a very interesting open day and the cakes sound delicious. I was walking with my neighbour and her dog this afternoon over the nearby fields to our local cemetery and I noticed that they had an open day on 18th May - I bet they don't have as many activities as Nunhead and especially not a ukelele orchestra! Hope you have a good day:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. was this the one on Springwatch/Autumnwatch last year ? Bit far away for me :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. A cemetery really is a great place to discover wildlife, what with so many places being left undisturbed. There's a lot of information on the website, and the Victorian planting sounds very interesting. I'd imagine a good time for discovering moths on the night tour too! I hope you had a great day, and didn't eat too many slices of cake? x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds a really fascinating event Simone!! There is something peaceful and mystical about old graveyards and I often like strolling around them, reading the age old script on the headstones...but that coupled with those divine sounding cakes, not to mention bug hunts and bees...well, whats not to like! Shame I don't live closer, would have enjoyed it very much!!

    Love Julia x xx

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated on this blog so it may be a while before your comment appears. I will try to leave a response to your comment where possible. Thank you so much for reading!