Saturday 25 June 2011

The Emergency Vets

The rain lashed against the car window on a dismal early evening in June.  We were driving into unknown territory amongst  towering council flats and red routes to locate the emergency vets.

Inside the environment was hostile.  The smell of a flatulent dog pervaded the room and a sickly automated air freshener competed with the dog’s anxiety.  Reception was unstaffed and we stood with our cat in his basket staring at the other blank faces and wet cheeks peppered around the waiting room.

Everything was in slow motion.  No one would know this was a place of emergencies.  People and their pet’s just waited patiently, in turn and waited and waited.

Casualties included a blind cat, a whimpering Shar-Pei that had received eye surgery, a Westie that had been hit by a car and left for dead, and a man and his dog that had both been bitten by another dog in the local park.

As if by magic a member of staff eventually turned up at reception asking pertinent questions such as whether or not people were on benefit.  Personal details became apparent to all as this wasn’t a place for discretion.

Shortly, a distraught woman came in to collect her cat.  It was evident that English was not her first language as she tried to describe her situation and sobbing through it all.  She claimed that the surgery had called her and said that if she didn’t collect her cat immediately they would ‘make it sleep’.  My gut wrenched as I heard her sorry tale and wondered what kind of a place I was entrusting my cat to.

Time passed slowly.  Fluorescent lights showed up peeling posters and hair covered chairs and faces full of angst.  I escaped for a time, through the security doors and out into the open.  I breathed in the smell of the rain and then went back inside.

This event happened yesterday evening.  As I write I don’t yet know the end of the story.  Gizmo was kept in overnight and put on a drip.  Today he will have x-rays.  The likelihood is that he will need an operation.

To be continued………………………………..

18 comments:

  1. Poor you and poor Gizmo. I'll be thinking of you both today and I hope the story has a good outcome.

    Janet x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keeping you in my thoughts and hoping for a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hoping all is well for Gizmo, not a pleasant time for you at all. Sending best wishes to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Simone, I'm thinking of you, I know it's not a nice place to be at the moment. Sending Gizmo healing thoughts.
    Take care,
    Vivienne x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor Gizmo - poor you how you?
    I hope you take Gizmo to the 'nice' vets. Hop the story has a happy ending
    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Simone, we have all fingers and paws crossed for Gizmo, and hope he is soon back to his usual naughty self.

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh poor little thing and poor you, Simone. Thinking of you and hoping he will be ok...
    Hen x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no! Sending healing and calming thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My heart goes out to you and indeed to Gizmo. It's horrible leaving them there and being unable to explain why you are abandoning them as they must think isn't it. I speak as one who knows but for us the outcome was good and Tom is now back home and doing well hope the same will be the case for Gizmo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm really sorry to hear that Gizmo isn't well. I am thinking of you and hope that he will soon be much better xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Simone, this is horrid, I am thinking of poor little Gizmo tonight and sending him and your family lots of love and hugs, I do hope he pulls through and is back home safe and well very soon. Email me if you want, anytime
    love
    Lyn
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope everything goes well, poor Gizmo!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a terrible time you're having. I do hope Gizmo makes a full recovery.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Is this a new event, Simone? It sounds almost like a short story and is beautifully written - very heart wrenching! I do hope that Gizmo is doing well. I feel bad for you with all the stress you're going through. Love and pats to Gizmo.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, Simone, I am so sorry you had to rush to the emergency vets, what an ordeal! I hope you find out what is wrong with Gizmo soon and that he can get on the road to recovery. Thinking of you both so much xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love, and a big hug, to you and Gizmo. x

    ReplyDelete
  17. We promise our animal companions that we'll take care of them, keep them safe and happy and comfortable. They trust us to do so and yet, life intervenes. All we can do is our best and continue to love them thoroughly. My thoughts are with you and I send you waves of healing energy. However the story ends, Gizmo is surely blessed to have you as his family.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awful for you and for Gizmo. Wishing you both well - hope you soon have good news.
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated on this blog so it may be a while before your comment appears. I will try to leave a response to your comment where possible. Thank you so much for reading!