Sunday 11 December 2011

Christmas Bark

I have seen a few recipes for 'bark' on the Internet so I thought I would have a go at making my own version.  This recipe is for those that have a super sweet tooth!

Ingredients
White chocolate (about 200g)
Dried sweetened cranberries (Ocean Spray are good)
Freshly chopped mint

Method
Break the chocolate pieces into a heatproof bowl and melt over a saucepan of water.  Put a piece of greaseproof paper onto a baking sheet and when the chocolate has melted pour onto the sheet.  Move the paper about so that the chocolate is of an even thickness.

Sprinkle the cranberries and mint evenly over the chocolate and leave to set, then refrigerate.  After a couple of hours remove from the fridge and cut the chocolate into thin shards or into fancy shapes if you prefer.

Conclusion
The mint really helps prevent the white chocolate from being too cloying.  The cranberries add a pleasant tartness and texture.  I think it goes down well with a nice cup of coffee!

Edited:  I was going to do a whole series of Bark recipes but poor light has not done justice to my photographs so I have listed some tried and tested variations below instead.  They all follow the above method unless stated otherwise.

  • White chocolate, cranberries, lime zest (my favourite!)
  • Milk chocolate, rice crispies (stirred into the melted chocolate), chopped dried ready to eat apricots
  • Milk chocolate, chopped glace cherries, dessicated coconut
There are so many more variations you could try including swirling different types of  chocolate together (white and dark), topping with mini marshmallows, mini fudge pieces, dried blueberries etc etc.  Go on! Give it a go!

10 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this recipe before but as I love white chocolate I can't wait to try it. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yummy, thanks for sharing. I'm making some white chocolate and cranberry fudge this, those two ingredients go well together but adding the mint is such a good idea.
    Vivienne x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of this, either. Looks easy to do and a bit different too:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I havent heard of this but might make some for a girlfriend of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm this looks yummy. Last year I made Vivienne's cranberry and white chocolate fudge which was a huge hit with us all so I'm making it again...and now you've shared this delicious recipe with added mint I will have to try this too! I love the look of white chocolate and cranberries....fits in with all the red and white things I love! Have a happy week, Simone.
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds delicious! I love to eat something super sweet with a nice cup of strong black coffee.

    Such festiveness on your blog recently! I've done nothing to prepare for Christmas yet. Hope I can stay composed like you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This recipe looks absolutely dreamy and PeRfEcT for Christmas.

    Thank you so much for sharing and making my stomach rumble! ;-)

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm , all looks very tempting!
    Hope you are still feeling composed!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my!!! I think I've gained some kg just looking at your post Simone!!!
    Hope everything is well with you and yours!
    Michela x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the idea Simone. I really must try this, in all variations! x

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated on this blog so it may be a while before your comment appears. I will try to leave a response to your comment where possible. Thank you so much for reading!