Tuesday 28 May 2013

Social Media

I am having a hard time getting to grips with social media.  I love blogging but I really have not taken to facebook which is just as well as it is refusing my login at the moment.  I don't really understand it.  It feels so impersonal to me and I keep getting emails telling me that a friend of a friend had commented on a post etc. Why do I need to know that?   I tried to put a link to my etsy shop on facebook this morning but it put up the wrong photo with the link and then I didn't know how to delete it!  I really miss the camaraderie of blogging and feel that the blogging community is breaking down with so many bloggers defecting to facebook.  Please come back!

If my etsy shop doesn't pick up over the next few months I think I will stop trying to sell the things I make on line.  I may even keep them for myself!  I have considered doing an 'open house' for the neighbours to come and see/buy what I make but at the moment I just don't have the budget for buying more materials to make things with to put on a big display.  It is very difficult to know what to do for the best.

On my last post I mentioned some of the other bracelets I have been making.  The bracelets above are part of my 'transitional' range when we change over from one season into the next.  The idea is to wear the serpentine (or lemon jade as they are known in the trade) bracelets in the summer months when the slightly acid lemon compliments a sun kissed skin and then adding the dalmatian jasper as we cross over into the autumn months.  In the autumn the dalmatian jasper can be worn as a stand alone piece of jewellery that blends with the colours of the season.  They are so tactile and feel lovely worn against the skin.    Serpentine is supposed to aid in unblocking chakra's and removing stagnant energies and dalmatian jasper helps to decrease any disillusionment you may be feeling, and helps you to let go of the things that are no longer of value to you and encourages faith and loyalty in your relationships.  Whether or not you believe in the healing properties of the gemstones they are nice to look at and give a person a sense of individuality when wearing them.  I am sure that owners of dalmatian dogs would love a dalmatian bracelet!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Simone :)
    I'm with you when you write about the blogging community defecting to Facebook.
    My Facebook timeline is only for private stuff, which I would hardly post on Blogger (outings for example).
    I'm mostly on Facebook, not only because I can access from my phone, but also because it lacks so much of contents than it's a very quick read, it's like taking a break for a coffee (I hope it makes sense), whilst bloggy friends deserve more time (when I check my reading list, I feel bad if I do not have the time for reading and commenting on each blog I follow).
    I'm noticing many people posting their blogs on FB, but unleast they have a blogshop as you and a friend of mine have, I really do not understand why they do that. Blogger is a very special community which should be kept apart from all the rest.
    Again good luck with your Etsy shop, I like your idea of "open house", just think of the fact that you can make new friends!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely agree with Michela.
    I use my facebook for my advertising. I don't use the home page. I made a page and just use that for the things I make. I don't put things on like 'going to the fair' etc. I just use it for the things I have made. Mind you that was clever of me because I don't normally manage to do things like that!
    I only did facebook as a last resort because like you if nothing happens with my folksy account I am closing its doors. I had no response from Etsy but more with my patterns on Folksy.
    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really dislike Facebook and Twitter and such like. Pepople keep telling me it's a great way to keep in touch with friends and family but personally I'd rather keep in touch in more old fashioned ways such as via the phone or email.

    I hope your sales pick up soon as your bracelets and necklaces are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Simone,
    I do use Facebook...mainly because my family and friends are on it and it is good for sharing stuff with them but I have to say my Blog is a separate thing and I put much more on that.
    I do hope you have more luck with your sales, I know I rarely get a commission for my pet portraits but it is out there should anyone stumble upon it in the future.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm on facebook but much prefer blogging and the blogging world as it is far more creative and satisfying. I think it is like a comparison between writing a journal or diary with your thoughts and feelings or just having a casual chat with someone or scribbling a note which will end up in the waste paper bin. Do persevere with your on line jewellery because it is lovely:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear simone

    I dont like FB either! I dont use a FB account. I too have noticed the lack of blogging,the lack of people commenting, the feeling that blogging has lost some of its cameraderie. I soldier on with my blog but sometimes feel like i am talking to myself now. Sad really because ive been blogging for 8 years, butit definiutely feels different. i lost a lot of my followers when i had to move my blog due to a troll attack, i had 300 or more two years ago, my new blog under its new name just feels so much qiuter.

    leanne x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do agree with you about FB and Twitter; I don't understand how to work the latter and can't really be bothered with the former. I do hope that all the bloggers I read will carry on blogging.

    I loved the bracelet that you showed last time and these are lovely too. I find Etsy very difficult to locate people on so seldom use it. Could you not sell direct from your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ι'm not sure I believe in gemstones' healing qualities, however, I find it comforting to wear the earrings I have made- I feel as if I'm closer to earth this way...

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated on this blog so it may be a while before your comment appears. I will try to leave a response to your comment where possible. Thank you so much for reading!