Friday 25 August 2017

A Friday Bake but not a Cake #1



Rather than the Friday Cake Bake (remember those?) today is a recipe for a simple baked apple crumble.  Although my apples were diseased this year, my friends generously let me pick apples from their tree.  I am sure the gifted apples made the crumble taste that much sweeter.

Apple Crumble

1 and a half pounds cooking apples
3oz white sugar
6oz plain white flour
3oz butter
2oz demerara sugar

Pre-heat the oven to 180C, gas mark 4

Peel, core and cut the apple into small pieces.

Place in ovenproof dish (I use a deep, round pyrex) and mix with white sugar.

In a large bowl rub the butter into the flour until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.  Stir in the demerara sugar.

Spoon the crumble mix over the apples, press down lightly and run a fork gently over the top to loosen some of the crumbs.

Bake for about half hour until the top is golden brown.

Serve warm with custard or topping of your choice.

7 comments:

  1. I'm not going to let Tom see this post as he will pester for one. He loves anything with apples in. lol
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go on Briony - make one for Tom! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm...lovely, I love apple crumble, I hope you enjoy yours:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my Simone....that does sound good!!
    V x

    ReplyDelete
  5. You cannot beat Apple Crumble and it is on my list to do but I cannot decide whether to use the apples from last year in the freezer or the fresh ones I have just picked, decisions, decisions! How nice of your friends to help you out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll bet your apple crumble was delicious, Simone!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. How kind of your friends.
    Got to be custard on a crumble I think.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated on this blog so it may be a while before your comment appears. I will try to leave a response to your comment where possible. Thank you so much for reading!