Monday 21 August 2017

Rotten Fruit

Rotten fruit has been the metaphor for this summer.

Back in the spring the fruit trees in my garden were smothered in blossom.  I was excited at the prospect of all the potential fruit to be gained from those tiny flowers.

In July the trees were heaving in fruit.  I allowed the plums and apples to swell and as they fought for dominance on the branches many fell to the ground elbowed out of position.

Wet days kept me inside and when the sun came out the fruits ripened.  The fruits ripened whilst my eyes were closed.

In hindsight I should have sacrificed a few fruits off the tree when they were small so that the rest of the fruits didn't have to compete for space.  The rot spread quickly through the branches infecting all it touched.  I think I was glutinous in wanting a huge harvest rather than having one that was more manageable.

Today, few fruits remain on the trees.  Windfalls are not usable as they have mildewed.  I have learnt lessons from this experience:

  • Be vigilant
  • Do not be greedy
  • Do not turn your back to what is going on around you
  • Be grateful for small mercies
  • Situations can change in the blink of an eye 

Today there is going to be a total eclipse of the sun.  This potent energy is a chance for us to get back on track and live our lives with true authenticity.  I hope this eclipse is a turning point for us to respect the World we inhabit and start to treat the planet, all that is within it and the Universe with the utmost respect.  This is not the time for inflated egos or pettiness or being vengeful but a time to re-adjust, reset and reclaim our humanitarian selves.



12 comments:

  1. We have had a lot of apples following a promising spring with plenty of blossom but almost every one is in some way damaged and yet - and here is another metaphor for you - the fruits don't have to be perfect to be delicious all that is needed is a knife to remove the bad bits (taking care not to disturb a wasp inside!) and what remains is really good. Make of this what you will!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jane. Unfortunately most of the apples are rotten to the core. Of course, those that just have superficial damage will still be eaten with the bad bits cut off. The plums however are a different story all together, rotten all over and only fit for the compost bin! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never grown apples or any fruit trees but know that it must be tempting not to thin out. Still a lesson learnt and next year you can look forward to huge apples.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that's a shame Simone... but don't blame yourself. It hasn't been a great year for the fruit in my garden either. The strawberries were good, but no apples, redcurrants, or blackcurrants at all. No blossom or fruit, nothing. I think I may have been over-enthusiastic with the cutting back last year, or else they just took a year out to rest.

    I wish I could see the eclipse from here. I went outside and there is a strange atmosphere - you can definitely tell something is happening. Let's hope, like you say, it is a turning point for the better. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a shame about your plums. Ours seem okay and we have collected them in batches but we have a glut of them now so jam has been made. Our gooseberries were mildewed this year and we hardly had any. It has been the strangest year with the weather, I've been ignoring the garden a bit lately due to the rain and lack of enthusiasm:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with what greenrabbitdesigns said... Well said

    Julie xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the IG follow
    But don't know where I'm going,
    Need to try much harder
    To photograph my sewing.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ethel!

    Instagram I've joined its true
    But with it don't know what to do
    Don't have apps or fancy phone
    In this I'm sure I'm not alone

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very wise words Simone.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am considering myself very fortunate as my Bramley Apple tree in Scotland has had a heavy yield again this year. I have not looked after the tree or apples at all - not pruned or fed or taken any small apples off to allow for a better crop. It must prefer my neglect!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated on this blog so it may be a while before your comment appears. I will try to leave a response to your comment where possible. Thank you so much for reading!