Tuesday 17 July 2018

Orchids

I'm not much good with houseplants.  There never seems to be a room environment suited to their individual needs - not enough light, too much light, too cool, too warm etc; until I was given an orchid as a gift back in April.  I left it in the humid steamy kitchen and watched it thrive.  I've since bought another orchid and invested in proper orchid food.  Apparently orchids can thrive for years in the correct conditions and even get by with a bit of neglect.

I can see collecting orchids as a new obsession only my kitchen is too small to house them all!  I was also under the illusion that orchids were very expensive plants.  They can be expensive on line but they are very reasonable in the supermarkets in the UK right now.  The one above was £5.00 and covered in blooms.

Forget bunches of dead blooms!  Treat yourself to a living potted orchid.  They give so much for very little in return.  I am in love with them!

5 comments:

  1. I did have one in my living room for quite a few years but then something (who knows what) happened and I lost it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vivienne! They favour humidity and light (but not direct sunlight) and thrive in kitchens and bathrooms. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have two tiny ones on my kitchen window ledge - they are so pretty and the flowers bloom for ages. I had one at work on my desk for 8 years and that is amazing at work as plants often do not get watered when you go on holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm amazed at how long the flowers last!

      Delete
  4. Hurray for moth orchids. I have a few that are several years old and they are a total joy.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated on this blog so it may be a while before your comment appears. I will try to leave a response to your comment where possible. Thank you so much for reading!