Monday 5 August 2019

Hatfield House Part Three

A section of the long gallery.  The ceiling was originally white but covered in gold leaf by the 2nd Marquess after seeing a gold ceiling in Venice.

The Library. This is just a small part of the library which was full of over 100,000 books going back as far as the 16th century to the present day.  It;s a pity that we couldn't explore the shelves!

 A replica of Charles I death mask on the right.

 A suit of armour.  I was half expecting it to walk!

Stained glass windows in the private chapel depicting scenes from the Old Testament.  The chapel is still used by the family each Sunday.

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful and interesting .... you'd have had the fright of your life if that suit of armour had moved!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vivienne, I am sure I saw it move out the corner of my eye! :)

      Delete
  2. Simone, what a wonderful way to spend some of my Monday morning reading these three posts. How I would love to have been with you on this magnificent tour. The history that surrounds your part of the world is a treasure. Happy you were able to go and happier that you shared it with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, I know you would have got so much out of the visit. I've only been able to show a small part of it on here. Although the house was grand it had a nice feel to it and the renovations had been applied sympathetically to it over the years. It is one of 10 heritage consortium buildings founded in the 1970's known as the Treasure Houses of England.

      Delete
  3. I think both armour and death mask would have made me jump. Both library and long gallery are impressive and the stained glass is wonderful:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stained glass was impressive. They had a open book in the chapel explaining what part of the Old Testament each pane represented. I really couldn't do it justice in my photos. :)

      Delete
  4. What a fabulous place Simone - so much history! And what beautiful stained glass windows too. I hope you're well x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julia! I hope you are well too. I have looked at your blog but not been able to leave comments when I last tried. x

      Delete

Comments are moderated on this blog so it may be a while before your comment appears. I will try to leave a response to your comment where possible. Thank you so much for reading!