Tuesday 12 November 2019

A Life in Patterns

I was thrilled to find a folder full of vintage and a few newer knitting patterns in one of my local charity shops.  It was pleasing and nostalgic for me to see the old style fonts and retro images. 

The patterns were individually priced and as I couldn't make up my mind I bought the whole lot!  When I got home I went through the patterns one by one.  I got a sense of the previous owner just by looking at the patterns, the notes made on them, names of who she was making them for.......many school style cardigans and dolls clothes for bazaars.

I was saddened to see personal notes interspersed between the pages - important numbers and contact details. It was as though she had died and her personal things had been dropped off at the charity shop without anyone going through them.  Little snippets of a person deduced by their knitting correspondence.

I can sense that Ethel was a kind person.  She had requested the Teddies for Tragedies knitting pattern which is used to knit teddies 'for children in third world or war torn countries.'   Thank you Ethel for all the cardigans, jumpers and toys you have made over the years.  I bet you was much loved by your friends and family. x

10 comments:

  1. Awe, lovely though that because of you Simone, Ethel isn't forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I just thought of her being someone who was once much loved and appreciated by her good deeds. x

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful find. I'm so glad you bought the patterns and have taken time to learn about the person who used them. Someone else might have just thrown half of them and the personal notes away which would have been such a shame. My mum used to knit cardigans for me and I remember having one very similar to the Bestway pattern with the three girls. I'm sure it was kitted in a gold/mustard coloured wool:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Bestway cardigan pattern looks very intricate! My Mum and Nan used to knit my school jumpers. I remember requesting a tank top in red, black and salmon pink stripes!x

      Delete
  3. I often wonder what will happen to my 'Stuff' when I depart. My daughter is not at all crafty and my sons will not want it. Let's hope the same thing happens like your experience and someone makes use of it all.
    I wish I had kept some of my old patterns, I had some lovely chunky cardigan patterns that I knitted for Tom and would love to make them again. Mind you, the wool would cost an arm and a leg now.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Briony, You could think about where you would like to donate your crafty stuff and leave a note to your children about it. I am sure there are many organisations that could make use of it. Among the patterns I have found a 1951 Mariner pattern for a chunky knit cardigan up to 46 ins chest. I don't know if it would be suitable for you to knit for Tom. Would you like me to send it to you? Send me an email and I will be happy to do so. x

      Delete
  4. This post says so much about you, Simone. I rejoice in your impulse to bring home the lot and in reading about the treasure among the treasure I've received a gift I'll carry through my day. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon. I bet you would have enjoyed looking through all the patterns too! :)

      Delete
  5. These look very familiar! I still have a pile of patterns that my mother used, although I rarely knit anything other than Puppets and hats for charity now. My mother started to make the lamb in your first picture, but sadly it never got finished. However I have the bits and will dig them out whenever my nephew starts a family, so his child will have something knitted by it's great grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Puppet Lady! I thought of you when I saw the Teddies Pattern and remembered the shoe boxes you used to send abroad filled with toys and your various knitted puppets! I am glad that you remember the lamb your mother started to make and hope you get the chance to finish it to pass on to a future generation. :)

      Delete

Comments are moderated on this blog so it may be a while before your comment appears. I will try to leave a response to your comment where possible. Thank you so much for reading!