Tuesday 5 November 2019

Retro Birth Announcment

 After my Nan died a few years ago I inherited some of her personal belongings. 

It is hard for me to believe that I was born when Queen Elizabeth II looked so young!  Isn't that a pretty stamp too?  Look at the price of the stamp.  Born pre-decimalisation when ha'penny's, shillings, crowns and threepenny (thrupence) bits were the currency in use.

 Yes.  The announcement is of my birth way back in 1963. 

The card epitomises the 1960's of my childhood.  New shiny modern things, time of joy, taking minor risks, a world of colour and hope and hippy freedom.  I do look back with rose tinted glasses and know that my reality wasn't the same as many others born in the UK at that time.  A happy childhood has grounded me for life and having a solid foundation helps me navigate the murky waters of today's society.

10 comments:

  1. How absolutely lovely to still have that Simone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I found it today by chance whilst having a sort out. :)

      Delete
  2. I love love love these little mementos of the past - I have a few and they are so dear to me. The birth announcement is just so lovely Simone, I especially like the graphics of that period. Where did those wonderful carefree days go - I loved the 50's and 60's they were special childhood days - all children should be able to experience them.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vivien. As I grow older I am so aware of the things I took for granted back then - playing out in the street, not worrying about the latest fashion trend, not worrying about offending people and yet retaining good manners, no take away food and the rubbish generated from it. On the other hand I don't miss the public phone boxes that smelt of urine and cigarettes! x

      Delete
  3. Such a precious keepsake, Simone. And how fortunate to be born where and when you were with the parents you were blessed to have you. We know millions on this green earth have not had our good fortune. That cute little card is a time capsule isn't it? Funky chair and mod phone! A delight to see this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon! I remember furniture in that style but we didn't have a telephone until I was a teenager! My parents were quite liberal and groovy to me and they played Beatles records every Sunday lunchtime :)

      Delete
  4. A wonderful keepsake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful to still have this card celebrating your birth, it is a lovely illustration too. I have one somewhere amongst my mother's things with an identification card too for rationing as it didn't end until 1954:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's cute isn't it Rosie? I would like to see your birth announcement too! :)

      Delete

Comments are moderated on this blog so it may be a while before your comment appears. I will try to leave a response to your comment where possible. Thank you so much for reading!