Saturday 18 January 2020

January Garden 2020


There are reasons too long to explain here why I can't get out into my back garden through any of the doors.  To get outside I have to lower a step up stool outside the dining room window, sit on the table and glide myself out of the window feet first onto the step below.  As you can probably imagine, it is a lot more faff getting back into the window!  For this reason I haven't been able to get into the garden as much as I would like to.

Today was bright and sunny and a good day to survey any damage that had been done by the relentless wind and rain we have been having.  As I walked around the garden I was struck by how pretty the skeletal remains of the upright lobelia was. 

 I have left it for now and will remove it nearer to spring.

In the autumn I planted up three varieties of narcissus bulbs that were gifted to me.  I am really excited to see how they turn out as they are all white varieties.  White flowers are my favourite and yet seem the most difficult to find.  I scraped up some moss from the path and added it to the containers to get rid of the stark brown earth.

Here are three more containers filled with the bulbs and my mossy 'decoration'!  I will update when the bulbs are in flower and share the varieties with you then.

15 comments:

  1. It was worth the effort of sliding out of the window I think. Soon be Spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily I am quite fit and flexible probably from doing yoga many years ago! It was worth climbing out of the window to have a look around and see what jobs will need doing later in the spring. Yes! Spring will be upon us before we know it. :)

      Delete
  2. I love seeing bulbs just starting to sprout. I have never planted bulbs in a container - do they grow well for you like that? The moss you've added is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bonnie. You can grow almost anything in a container if you make sure there are drainage holes and the growing medium is suitable for what you are growing. I've not grown these particular plants before but they are doing well so far.

      Delete
  3. Isn't it wonderful to see the bulbs peeping through, I love it!!
    V x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you would appreciate it Vivienne. Happy pre-spring! x

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a bit of an assault course - hope you can use the doors come spring and the start of the gardening season! I could have brought you loads of moss back from Scotland - the whole garden seems covered with this damp weather. It is pretty though, I am cultivating a mossy border on the north side of the cottage - I love how soft it feels.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully the doors will be usable come the spring time. The wood swells up in the damp/wet weather and they are difficult to open and then close again! I thought I would use moss on the pots as I've seen this done with bulbs before. I would have like your Scottish moss! I believe that some moss are protected - although I don't know which ones. x

      Delete
  5. Super to see those first shoots from your bulbs, you will soon have lovely white flowers. It has been awful weather for gardens so far this year:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see what the flowers are like Rosie as they are supposed to be unusual varieties. The last two days have been frosty but prior to this it has been so damp hence my mossy paths! :)

      Delete
  6. Sweet to peek into your garden, Simone. I love white flowers, too! My gardens are slumbering under a blanket of snow and it will be quite a while yet before any brave little bulbs begin to reach for the sun. I'm thankful for my indoor plants and am busy reading my garden catalogs. This week I hope to order seeds and such. Jerome often suggests we move to a place where I could garden year round, but the truth is I love the seasons and looking forward to what each brings. Such riches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too love the seasons but sometimes wonder what it would be like to garden year round. My snowdrops(Galanthus) have started to come through but they are less than last year. :)

      Delete
  7. I love the idea of going out the window. : D Won't be long until the daffs are out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel quite an eccentric old bird climbing out of the window. I wonder if the neighbours ever catch me doing it! :)

      Delete

Comments are moderated on this blog so it may be a while before your comment appears. I will try to leave a response to your comment where possible. Thank you so much for reading!