Monday 10 August 2020

Cucamelons


 Cucamelons grown from seed. Easy to grow perennial vine fruit and rewarding. They taste like cucumbers with a hint of sourness/lime flavour.  They are also known as mouse melons, Mexican sour gherkin,  Mexican miniature watermelon, Mexican sour cucumber and Pepquinos.  The scientific name is Melothria Scabra.

I will probably make a curry pickle with mine.

I have just reverted to legacy interface to write this blog post.  I am finding it increasingly difficult to get along with the new interface and do not find it user friendly at all!  With so many changes/variables in my life just the small matter of not being able to post like I used to is really getting me down.

Even after reverting to 'old blogger' I can't get photos or text to behave itself with photos jumping all over the page or disappearing.  This post will have to stay as three photos with a bunch of text below.  If I fiddle about with it any more I will probably lose what I have! 


7 comments:

  1. There is just something very, very cute about them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. tech troubles are enough to make you weep or swear but please don't give up!
    awesome little cukes. are they fruit or vegetable? perennial?? if they'll grow in the American midwest, I may have to give them a try for their cuteness value alone.
    hang in there and have a good week. hope it's cooler and less humid in England than it is in Wisconsin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd never heard of them but they look wonderful and I love the name mouse melons. This new blogger is quite challenging isn't it? I'm beginnng to dread changes and things not being the same especially with technology, I've managed at the moment with the new blogger so will keep going a while longer I hope you do too, Simone:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of those but they sure are cute! I love cucumbers so I would love to try these. I bet they do make good pickles.

    I prefer the old blog version but I have stayed with the new one and done okay. For the most part I don't have much trouble with it but I do have to fiddle around with posting pictures sometimes. I'm hoping they are still getting the kinks out of it and we will see it improve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Simone. I grew them last year but my plant wasn't very productive. They were really fun, though, and so cute. I had no idea they could be perennial. Your climate is so much milder than mine.

    Sorry for the challenges with your blog! Technology changes are always so frustrating! Hope things work better for you soon!

    Have a lovely weekend, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun fruit (?) to grow! Any chance you would trade some seeds? I'd be happy to offer something from my garden in return.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blogger needs to leave well enough alone!
    Those really are cute little cukes. Our veggies are coming in faster than we can store/cook/use them! It’s such a rush this time of year, but aren’t we lucky for the abundance!
    xo

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated on this blog so it may be a while before your comment appears. I will try to leave a response to your comment where possible. Thank you so much for reading!