Sunday 16 May 2021

Growing an Ecosystem

The elder tree was once a modest bush but I removed the lower branches to raise the canopy quite a few years ago.


I'm taking part in NoMowMay  in which we are encouraged to let the grass grow and encourage wild flowers to germinate to provide food for the pollinators.  After May I am going to leave the grass long and just mow a path to walk through.  


At the base of the elder tree some shoots were growing so I carefully pulled them away and planted up into pots to grow on.  Three out of the four 'cuttings' are thriving.  I am so excited at the prospect of growing my own elder trees! 


The plant above is a Rowan tree.  Much folklore lies around the Rowan and it is said to protect against evil!

I used to pull up the green alkanet (above with the blue flowers) as it is invasive but the bees love it so much and it will have to stay.  It is scattered all around the borders and grows happily alongside the rhubarb and strawberries.


The white borage has gone mad and self sown in abundance!  I bought the seeds during lockdown last year and sowed a few pots of it.  It looks almost luminous on a dull day and it is another favourite for the bees.


The water 'feature' is not too appealing to look at just now but it is essential to have water in a thriving ecosystem.


The potted apple tree - Braeburn has lost most of its pink blossom and I am hoping that it produces some apples this year. 

10 comments:

  1. Wow we have such similar plants in our gardens. I potted two Rowan trees I discovered in the flower border last Autumn - must have self seeded from the neighbour's tree. I have such a lot of alkanet in the cottage garden and elders everywhere - all self seeded. I haven't mown the lawn yet though I am not sure the neighbours will like the fact that there are dandelions in abundance and will easily spread onto their patch when they seed over. I have daisies on the back lawn which I always leave as I do like them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to pull up dandelions on sight but now I am leaving them to seed and flourish. I do like daisies and buttercups and wish that they would spread throughout the lawn. :)

      Delete
  2. You have a beautiful garden and an excellent ecosystem. I love the elderflower and Rowan trees and all the flowers are lovely. I can almost hear the birds singing and bees buzzing as they enjoy the home you have provided for them! It is good to hear from you Simone, I hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bonnie. I wouldn't say my garden is beautiful but it is good for the wildlife. I have stopped trying to have such a perfect garden and stressing about plants getting eaten. I am only at the beginning of changing my garden into a place for all creatures. I hope you are well too Bonnie. :)

      Delete
  3. Lovely post. Your garden looks wonderful, Simone. Do you use the elder flowers or berries for making jams or cordials? We too are doing 'nomowMay' and hope to leave some grass growing longer and mowing a path through up to the shed. I hope you have some apples fom your tree:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosie. I've not used the elder flowers for making anything and by the time they turn into berries the birds have a feast on them! I am glad you are doing 'nomowMay' too. It was hard to convince my husband (although it is me that cuts the back garden lawn and not him!)but I said if he wants he can continue to cut the front lawn which is just a tiny patch of grass. The apple tree has had some good years but I don't think I had any apples from it last year. :)

      Delete
  4. Awe thanks for the little walk around your garden Simone ... just think of all the elderflower cordial you'll be able to make ... champagne even! :)
    V x

    ReplyDelete
  5. A busy time in the garden, Thank you for letting me know what the blue flowers are, some appeared in our front garden this year, under the rose bushes. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not been too busy yet Lyn as the weather has been cold,wet and dreadful! I hope the weather improves next week as I have a lot of catching up to do! x

      Delete

Comments are moderated on this blog so it may be a while before your comment appears. I will try to leave a response to your comment where possible. Thank you so much for reading!