Wednesday 12 September 2012

Talking Sticks

I recently found some branches that had fallen from an oak tree.  I purchased a wood rasp, acquired some sandpaper and got my beeswax furniture polish out of the cupboard.  After several hours of stripping the bark from the oak, sanding, polishing and embellishing with embroidery thread, I had two - not bad for a first attempt - talking sticks.  I had never heard of talking sticks until I read about them in Glennie Kindred's book of Sacred Celebrations.  She explains how to make a talking stick in the chapter on preparations for the Autumn Equinox.  The purpose of a talking stick is to facilitate discussion by passing it around a group of people.  Whoever holds the stick is the only one who can speak and must not be interrupted.  When he/she has finished speaking, it is passed on to the next person who wishes to speak.

6 comments:

  1. I do like the look of your talking sticks. Very interesting also to know how they're used as I'd never heard of talking sticks before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a new one on me too! I admire the work you put in to making the sticks smooth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really interesting Simone, I've never heard of that before!!
    They look very pretty too. :)
    Vivienne x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard of a similar idea using wooden spoons - I could do with one of these sticks at work when I have to go and see our managing partner about an problem so that I can get a word in! I think communities like the Findhorn use this kind of system in their meetings. I can't believe you have made these they are very well done - what patience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant Simone. I need one too.. to get myself heard at home! I shall be out searching in the wood this afternoon. You have such good ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have made these so beautifully, Simone. They would be useful things to have in many big families, and lots of other situations too!
    Wishing you a happy weekend.
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated on this blog so it may be a while before your comment appears. I will try to leave a response to your comment where possible. Thank you so much for reading!