Sunday 25 March 2018

Vintage Gardening Book

 I have just rediscovered an old gardening book given to me by my step-granddad many years ago.

There is no date of publication in the book but a price of 17/6 is pencil marked inside the front cover.  This equates to 17 shillings and six pence in 'old money' which is about 88 pence today!

It is a big hardcover bound book and full of interesting information.

 It is certainly of its time!

The illustrations are sometimes garish and old fashioned.  So old fashioned that they have come full circle and look almost contemporary!

Clear illustrations and diagrams make the book easy to understand.

I love this picture of climbing nasturtiums covering the base of a tree stump.  I have an old tree stump and can't wait to replicate this idea myself!

8 comments:

  1. Oh yes that will look pretty. Looking forward to seeing some colour in the garden.
    Make sure you're wearing the right kind of jacket for the task though!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful book Simone - the illustrations are so vivid. I'm always fascinated to find old books like this in the secondhand/charity bookshops and I usually can't resist buying them!

    I hope you are enjoying your weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a treasure, Simone. Lucky you. Aren't we all mad for color about now??? Happy day after your birthday. Hope you were treated royally. Hugs from this side of the pond.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a charming book,Simone. So colourful, I like the nasturtiums winding their way over the tree stump what a lovely idea:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an absolutely beautiful book.....lucky you Simone! :)
    V x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, what a treasure, Simone! I just love the illustrations, and, like everyone else, I am looking forward to flowers and color if and when Spring shows her pretty face around here! xxx

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated on this blog so it may be a while before your comment appears. I will try to leave a response to your comment where possible. Thank you so much for reading!