Friday 7 June 2019

Jaded


I am going through a strange metamorphosis at the moment.  Since catching a cold back in March I have since developed what I assume is hay-fever.   I am beginning to loathe the plants and flowers that once brought me so much joy as they seem to be the root (good pun eh?) of my health concerns.

I rarely cook/bake for pleasure and don't invest any time into gardening apart from caring for my potted apple tree.   The things I once loved hold no interest to me at the moment.  I feel I have reached saturation point with them all.

Crafting seems a distant memory as I haven't done any for ages and wonder if I am done with it - worked it out of my system.  It was always a dream to make things and sell them rather than just make for the sake of making.  I suppose I felt guilty making stuff without bringing in an income.  I did try a few craft fairs and sold a few things via Etsy but there was no money in making crafts to sell.

Since leaving my job in April 2018 I haven't worked or looked for a job.  I get a little bit of money selling my old  'stuff' via the on line auction site eBay.  I really cannot see myself working for anyone again but I may have to.  I feel too old and tired to be bothered competing with other people in the workplace anymore.  Working from home seems the best option.

What interests me now?  I am still contemplating that one.  New things interest me - or to rephrase that - things that are new to me.  I want to try painting abstracts rather than say to perfectly replicate a flower or landscape.  I still want to explore painting and drawing but not so much 'crafty' art.

I am beginning to evaluate my whole life.  I am casting aside that which I no longer have time for.  Friendships have dwindled away but I am liking myself more!  I enjoy quietness and solitude but would make time for an occasional fiesta should the chance arise.

So much choice is afforded to us all these days.  Too much choice can be crippling.  The way I handle it is to be more discerning with the way I use my time and resources.  I think I may be metamorphosing into a grown up.  I thought the day would never come.

12 comments:

  1. Haha , I loved your final sentence Simone!!
    You'll find your 'thing', sorry about the hayfever though!
    V x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vivienne! Admitting I am a grown up is quite a shock to the system! x

      Delete
  2. Sounds like things are turning around Simone and through it all you do sound optimistic. Shame about the hay fever there is something strange about the weather patterns this year perhaps it won't be a permanent problem, I hope not. Too much choice always fuddles my brain, I went into a large shop the other day and couldn't spot what I wanted, the phrase 'couldn't see the wood for the trees' came into my mind and life is getting like that too:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rosie! Yes I am optimistic and maybe more pragmatic about life than I was a few years ago. The hay fever is helped by a nasal spray. Previously I was taking tablets and they caused tiredness and lethargy. I too hope that the hay fever is just a temporary blip. Have a great weekend - if it ever stops raining! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Simone,

    So sorry to hear about the Hay Fever and about your lack of joy from plants and flowers. I can imagine that's so hard.

    I'm glad to know that despite the changes and transitions you've been going through that you're happy with yourself. You'll get it all figured out, or if not "all figured out" at least on the other side of the transition. Don't doubt your heart, it will tell you which direction you should be heading!

    Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne, It is lovely to have you here. I'm OK with things at the moment but just feel like it's time for a change. I've got to stop hanging onto what feels safe and start widening my horizons a bit more. I hope you can get in the garden this weekend and do what you love. :)

      Delete
  5. Oh my! Some people don't like change, I am scared of it myself so well done for embracing this metamorphosing xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lyn! I don't like change when I am content but I have felt fidgety and restless for so long I welcome this disruption in the status quo (not the group!) x

      Delete
  6. Hi Simone - I was just thinkng of you the other day and was going to drop you an email to see if you are OK. Sorry to hear about the hayfever and hopefully it may just be a blip and go away again for next year.
    I know what you mean about being overloaded with choice - it has a paralysing feeling for me sometimes. If you feel you would like to paint abstract then just try it. I found a lovely book a while ago called 'stop, look, breathe, create' by Wendy Ann Greenhalgh - it has some lovely creative work in it and ideas for anyone to pursue - you might like to get hold of a copy and take a look.
    Wishing you well, Viv xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vivien! I may have a look at the book you recommend. I seem to have lost my creative streak and am looking out for something else to pursue. Thanks for your kind wishes. I hope you are well. x

      Delete
  7. I hope you can find a truly settled centre for yourself.

    As for hay-fever as a Pharmacist for non-drowsy, one a day tablets, they work for me anyway. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Toffeeapple, thank you for your comment. I was taking one a day tablets for my hay fever but they made me fall asleep. I now have a nasal spray which helps. I hope you are well. :)

      Delete

Comments are moderated on this blog so it may be a while before your comment appears. I will try to leave a response to your comment where possible. Thank you so much for reading!